My goal with this unique, one-on-one and highly personalized, kind of training will be to teach, guide, encourage and inspire students who are looking for a more structured way of learning and growing in Jiu Jitsu - especially those of you who already teach the art.
During Phase One of the development of these courses, I will close off the attendance a specific amount of students. I will do this to evaluate the quality of the training (from the student's perspective) and see what kind of adjustments need to be made. I will gather feedback from the students so the program can be improved.
During Phase Two, I will close off the attendance to a smaller amount of students to do the same thing.
Finally, when Harris.Academy reaches around 150 students who want to be tested and evaluated by me personally, enrollment at the Academy will be closed to new students. I will do this to ensure the highest quality of weekly one-on-one instruction for the training I provide! NOTE: This number does not include students who only want "the information" contained on this website. We currently have over 400 students enrolled and only a handful have requested to be evaluated.
Here are the areas I will cover in this first course:
• Fundamental Movements
• Front mount escapes
• A highly effective guard pass
• A highly effective side mount control hold
• A simple transition
• A few submissions
• An important sweep
• A couple of drills that combine everything above
• Self-defense against grabs
• Self-defense against strikes
• Self-defense against a knife
• Some important thoughts on self-defense
The combination of all of these will lay a foundation for part two of this program!
In part two of the course, I will expand upon the above-mentioned topics as well as add a few new topics (e.g. How to become a great training partner, How to interact with me weekly or monthly, Your 2nd homework assignment, Your first examination, How to find great training partners to help you progress, etc...).
The goals of these courses are to (a) lay a firm foundation in your mindsets, positioning, movements and technique and (b) teach you a structured progression in training [as well as give you several examinations along the way] so you can make continued progress in your journey (because learning technique IS NEVER ENOUGH to progress in any art). By the time you reach Foundations Course #5 (the final course before the individual stripe / belt courses), you will have learned enough principles, concepts and training methods to guide you all the way to black belt in Jiu Jitsu (if that's where you want to go).
For those of you who will go beyond the training and will choose to test with me, you will have a weekly or monthly FaceTime, Skype or Messenger meetings with me to (a) talk with your about and/or review your progress, (b) ask any questions you might have, and (c) talk about your training assignments / goals. This way, we can emulate the academy environment as well as do things many academy instructors don’t do (e.g. give you one-on-one time with your instructor at a reasonable price, give you personal feedback on your current strengths / weaknesses / abilities, etc…).
The big picture for all of this is simple:
Over the course of your training with me, those of you who will choose to train AND test with me will have an experienced and caring black belt looking over your shoulder, guiding, teaching, encouraging and inspiring you (each week or each month) as you progress in Jiu Jitsu. And, I anxiously look forward to sharing this journey with you!
Here are the names of the different sections:
04. Fundamental movements
06. B.A.R. front mount escape
07. E/K front mount escape
08. O.T.L. guard pass
09. Side mount hold
10. Transition to front mount
11. Americana lock
12. Side mount submissions
13. Front mount submissions
14. Elevator sweep
15. B.A.R. Front mount escape drill
16. E/K escape drill
17. B.A.R. & E/K front mount escape drill
18. B.A.R. Front Mount Escape Drill 2
19. E/K Front Mount Escape Drill 2
20. Functional exercises
21. Self-Defense: A definition
22. Self-Defense: Mindset
23. Self-Defense: Focuses
24. Self-Defense: Stance
25. Self-Defense: Footwork
26. Self-Defense: Hand defenses
27. Self-Defense: Head defenses
28. Self-Defense: Eye poke
29. Self-Defense: Eye gouge
30. Self-Defense: The slap
31. Self-Defense: HKE
32. Self-Defense: Groin shots
33. Self-Defense: The bite
34. Self-Defense: Important thoughts
35. Self-Defense: Long range knife defense
36. Self-Defense: A different knife defense
37. First assignment
38. Friendly sparring and commentary
39. Discussion forum
40. Something new to test
Here is the break down of costs for being a part of this online training program:
• Foundations Course 1: $97.00
• Foundations Course 2: $97.00
• Foundations Course 3: $97.00
• Foundations Course 4: $97.00
• Foundations Course 5: $97.00
• All 5 bundled together: $400.00
• Each stripe Course: $47.00
• Testing fee: $9.99 (because I will review and comment out all of your videos)
• Comment on weekly / monthly assignments: $0.00
• Weekly / monthly face-to-face meetings: $19.99 per meeting.
Keep in mind you get lifetime access tool of this training material. This means, with a one-time payment, you get to keep reviewing the course information for as long as you want. I write this because some have commented, "$97 is a lot to pay for one single course." I have responded to these students by asking the following questions:
• How much does one month of instruction at your academy cost? $80? $100? $150? $200?
• For the $80, $100, $150, or $200 you pay each month, how often do you get to review all of the important details that were taught in just one group class - let alone an entire course? Do you see the value of paying a very low one-time fee for lifetime access to great content?
So, by paying a one time fee - that's less than what most students pay for one month of training - you get access to this great content on your laptop, tablet or cell phone daily if you so desire!
Also, whenever I update the course, you get those updates for free!
Finally, I have one student who listens to the video of this course on his phone each morning on the 45 minute drive to work. He says it helps him tremendously! He says, "Having access to the course on his cell phone wherever he goes has helped him remember the concepts I taught. It has also helped him in his sparring!
Here are the goals for this course:
1. Teach students the three most often used positions in Jiu Jitsu (and how to get better at them).
2. Teach students the importance of the use of proper positioning (and how it affects endurance).
3. Teach students a series of related techniques that lead to drilling (an important way of training).
4. Teach students the first three levels of the Harris Jiu Jitsu training method (having a structure to training).
5. Teach students how to train properly, safely and enjoyably (primary goals of every Jiu Jitsu student).
6. Teach students some basic ideas on self-defense (an important area of training for all students).
7. Lay a foundation in your skill sets for part two in this series (there will be five courses in all).
Does this sound like a plan? Do you have questions or comments? If so, email me here.
I hope to see you on the inside,
Copyright © 2016 Roy Harris
Mr. Roy Harris has been training in twenty-seven (27) styles of martial arts since 1981. He has taught 600+ seminars in 24 countries and on one cruise ship. He has written a book, produced several iOS apps and been featured in several local, national and international magazines.
For a more detailed look at his background, go to this URL: